About Family Eyecare
Family Eyecare began as a spectacle testing and optical dispensing practice in the early 1920s, established by optician Frank Van Ede. At the time the practice was small, sharing the front of the shop with a radio store. In 1951 the practice was sold to optometrist Rhodes Mason. The radio store closed down soon after, enabling Rhodes to grow the business within the full premises at 424 Centre Road. In 1969 Peter Dwyer joined the practice, and after Rhodes’ retirement in 1972 Peter continued to develop the business into one of Victoria’s leading independent optometry practices.
James Baumgarten joined the practice in 1994, becoming partners with Peter soon after. In 2001 Peter sold his share of the partnership to Annette Tiu, winding back his consulting until his retirement at the end of 2004. Since then, James and Annette have worked hard to not only maintain but elevate the high standards of eyecare that have become expected at Family Eyecare.